President Donald Trump authorized federal assistance for 57 Kentucky counties that suffered significant damage from severe flooding from Feb. 6 to March 10.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced this week that federal disaster assistance has been made available to Kentucky to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe storms, straight-line winds, flooding, landslides and mudslides during that time.
Federal funding is available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities that were damaged in the 57 counties, including McCracken, Ballard, Carlisle, Crittenden, Livingston and Marshal. "We are grateful to President Trump for issuing an official disaster declaration to assist Kentucky counties impacted by widespread severe weather and flooding earlier this year," Gov. Matt Bevin said. "This federal assistance will provide nearly half of our counties with important resources as they continue recovery efforts."
The action grants public assistance to impacted counties to repair roads, bridges and other infrastructure. The declaration will also provide the state with mitigation funding. Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures within the state.
Allan Jarvis has been named as the federal coordinating officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area. Jarvis said additional designations may be made if warranted by the results of further damage assessments.