Damning  Old Eddyville

Damming Old Eddyville

In this amazing scene, workers convert Old Eddyville’s original timber dam with a movable crest (wicket) dam on the Cumberland River in 1934. The Kentucky State Penitentiary looms in the distance, like some disembodied medieval specter. Christened Lock and Dam “F” by the Corps of Engineers, this navigation system managed river traffic at Old Eddyville for four decades before Barkley Dam became operational in 1966. Recent sonar footage recorded by this author suggests that Lock and Dam “F” remains fully intact to this day, 40 feet below Lake Barkley’s surface.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.