Welcome

Thank you for visiting paducahsun.com, the online home of The Paducah Sun.

Calendar
June 2012
S M T W T F S
27 28 29 30 31 01 02

Click here to submit an event.

Video claims to show beheading of journalist

BY ZEINA KARAM Associated Press

BEIRUT - Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant group continue, "our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people."

The footage - depicting what the U.S. called a sickening act of brutality - was posted two weeks after the release of video showing the killing of James Foley and just days after Sotloff's mother pleaded for his life.

Barak Barfi, a spokesman for the family, said that the Sotloffs had seen the video but that authorities have not established its authenticity.

"The family knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately. There will be no public comment from the family during this difficult time," Barfi said.

Sotloff, a 31-year-old Miami-area native who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, vanished in Syria in August 2013 and was not seen again until he appeared in a video released last month that showed Foley's beheading. Dressed in an orange jumpsuit against an arid Syrian landscape, Sotloff was threatened in that video with death unless the U.S. stopped airstrikes on the Islamic State.

In the video distributed Tuesday and titled "A Second Message to America," Sotloff appears in a similar jumpsuit before he is apparently beheaded by a fighter with the Islamic State, the extremist group that has conquered wide swaths of territory across Syria and Iraq and declared itself a caliphate.

In the video, the organization threatens to kill another hostage, this one identified as a British citizen, David Cawthorne Haines. It was not immediately clear who Haines was.

Britain and France called the killing "barbaric." British Prime Minister David Cameron said in a statement that he would chair an emergency response meeting with his Cabinet on Wednesday to review the latest developments.

In Washington, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said U.S. intelligence analysts will work as quickly as possible to determine if the video is authentic.

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Your comment has been submitted for approval
captcha 181db4296b0e4f809e02294622d9bd83
Top Classifieds
  • Downsizing Due To Health Museum Quali ... Details
  • CONCORD AREA MCHS - 3 miles ... Details
  • SEEING is believing! Don't b ... Details
  • 14' JON BOAT with electric s ... Details

Most Popular
  1. Local sports schedule
  2. College takes a stand for freedom
  3. SORDID Left doing its best to deny money talks
  1. McAmis to face trial in January
  2. Coach hopes to rebuild home destroyed by fire
  3. McCracken's McKamey picks Indiana Hoosiers
  1. Local sports schedule
  2. College takes a stand for freedom
  3. SORDID Left doing its best to deny money talks
Discussion

Check out these recently discussed stories and voice your opinion...