FRANKFORT - Attorney General Jack Conway is piling up endorsements and campaign cash in an effort to keep other Democrats out of the 2015 gubernatorial fight, but at least one potential challenger says he won't be scared off.
Daniel Mongiardo, the former lieutenant governor and 2010 challenger to Conway for the Democratic U.S. Senate nomination, said in a wide-ranging interview with the Herald-Leader late last month that he is considering a run for the governor's mansion.
"If I get in this race, I will be a late entrant," Mongiardo said. "I know the roads to every county. And I've traveled them, and I've driven them personally. So I know how to get there, and I know who to call when I get there. And if they've committed to somebody else, so be it. I'll take those chances."
Like other Democrats who have been mentioned as possible candidates, Mongiardo is adamant that he would not announce a run before November "because we have to have a friend who's going to help us with these kinds of ideas in Washington."
In a follow-up email Tuesday, after Conway announced he had raised more than $750,000 in his first seven weeks as a candidate, Mongiardo accused Conway of hurting Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes' efforts to defeat Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.
Check out these recently discussed stories and voice your opinion...