A groundbreaking ceremony for the Anna Mae Owen Residential Hospice House will be held at 10 a.m. on June 12.
The hospice house, located at 1959 Ky. 94 West in Murray, will include private rooms with private baths, a memory garden, private patios for each patient room, kitchen, family room, laundry facilities and a family conference room.
It will be an acute care, inpatient facility designed to address the requirements and requests of patients facing end of life situations. Health care professionals will provide pain management, symptom control and medical procedures.
Vice president of development Keith Travis said this is the first major project at Murray-Calloway County Hospital to be funded completely through philanthropic donations. An anonymous donor gave $1.5 million and the rest came from more than 7,000 donors.
Starting at 9 a.m., a shuttle service will be provided from Westside Baptist Church at 207 Robertson Road to the groundbreaking site.
The hospice program has served residents of Calloway County since 1980 and accepted the first patient on Jan. 15, 1981. Hospice staff employs four full-time and two part-time nurses, one full-time aide, one full-time social worker, dietitians, a chaplain and therapists. It is also supported by numerous community volunteers who give their time to visit with patients and their families.
The philosophy of hospice care is to focus on the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of patients and families as they face the challenges of end of life issues. Currently, health care professionals and trained volunteers deliver the majority of care in the patient's home.