Welcome

Thank you for visiting paducahsun.com, the online home of The Paducah Sun.

Calendar
June 2012
S M T W T F S
27 28 29 30 31 01 02

Click here to submit an event.

Barbecue festival presents numbers, plans

BY CORIANNE EGAN cegan@paducahsun.com

With eight months to go before Paducah's Barbecue on the River Festival, organizers presented their plan for the event's 20th anniversary.

Festival executive director David Boggs presented the festival's ins-and-outs to the Paducah City Commission Tuesday night, showing off 2013's fundraising totals as well. Donations from the 42 barbecue teams to their respective charities totaled $448,228.

The charities receive money directly through the barbecue teams, Boggs detailed. At the end of the festival, teams fill out an accountability form telling the festival's organizers what they donated. Booths donate different amounts to their charities - some give percentages of profits, others give a flat fee, and some donate all proceeds - but organizers recommend 20 percent.

"The charities and barbecuers handle the money themselves," Boggs said. "The money does not come through the festival."

Last year, the festival brought in $138,220. Of that, 29 percent came from fees and administrative costs charged to barbecue teams and food vendors. The other 71 percent was money made from non-participants. Barbecue organizers said net expenses were $108,710, leaving the festival $29,510.

The festival will be kicking off this year in May with an event to draw attention to the 20th anniversary celebration. The festival is scheduled for Sept. 25-27.

In other business, City Manager Jeff Pederson announced that a consultant hired to review the city and county's emergency communications center has completed his report. The report will be shown to city and county officials at meetings Tuesday.

Contact Corianne Egan, a Paducah Sun staff writer, at 270-575-8652 or follow @CoriEgan on Twitter.

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Comment on this article

Your comment has been submitted for approval
captcha eb37ba54c13e4b29ae319a8df47ecb5d
Top Classifieds
  • HAVANESE PUPS AKC Home Raised, Best H ... Details
  • 27HP 60' cut. 2014 Dixie Cho ... Details
  • PILLOW TOPmattress sets NEW in pl ... Details
  • SEEING is believing! Don't b ... Details
  • 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback, very well ... Details

Most Popular
  1. McCracken Civic Beautification Distinctive Home of the Month
  2. Woodmen Chapter donates to St. Nicholas Foundation
  3. Two Paducah residents awarded National MS Society Scholarships
  1. Regional parks set to receive nearly $4 million in upgrades
  2. Aide: Clinton didn't want emails accessible
  3. New laws to take effect around U.S.
  1. McCracken Civic Beautification Distinctive Home of the Month
  2. Woodmen Chapter donates to St. Nicholas Foundation
  3. Two Paducah residents awarded National MS Society Scholarships
Discussion

Check out these recently discussed stories and voice your opinion...